Another month, another Rider Interview! For this month of February we are really stoked to present you this dope interview with our homie Andrew Castaneda! Our friend, John Richard, was nice enough to write this dope intro about Andrew:
“How do you start with a kid as boss as AC. Start with his ability to lighten things up. Andrew always brings such a fun loving spirit with him. Ive kicked with him in the office at Tip, in the streets, in a car for many hours on a road trip and he is always lighthearted and fun. You can tell he is in it because he loves it! He rides because it makes him smile. BMX needs more of this. He is in my opinion a prime example of the future of BMX. Puts down crazy lines, handles technical riding like its easy and can mix it up with big reckless bangers whenever he wants. I love him and am so stoked having him as a triple part of the Tip family rep’in Cult, Primo, and Lotek Shoes. You can never get enough Andrew! We look forward to a long future with this family member”
- John Richard, Director of Operations for Tip Plus BMX
1. Where’s are you from, how old are you and what’s your occupation?
I am from Santa Ana, CA. Its in the middle of Orange County, I’m 19 years old and once filmed a wedding haha, no current occupation
2. When and how did you start riding bmx?
I started riding when I was 14. I was skating when I started high school; early in the year I meet some friends who rode, so I wanted to do both. Eventually I got over skating and stuck to bikes. I had a really amazing skate park across the street from my school so I would session it mornings and afterschool all day.
3. When you were a child and all those adults would ask you, “And what do you want to be when you grow up?” what did you say?
I would always make something up to keep who ever asked happy, I was never really sure what I want to be when I grew up, I would change my mind so often but one day I’ll figure it out haha.
4. What is a normal day for you?
Normally just wake up at 6 in the morning, hit a morning jog, then when im done with all my morning activity’s I hit up the crew (Veesh,Dave,Iz) meet up and chill at a skate park to warm up, get some motivation then head out spot hunting and pretty much spend the day riding. At the end of the day the crew normally meets up and just chill watching TV, air playing videos to the TV and just talking nonsense haha
5. I know you are always out riding with Iz, Veesh and the rest of the Goodfeelin crew. What’s the scene like around where you live?
Yaa they cool as hell!!! Veesh and Iz is normally who im rollin with! We normally meet up with some homies and just have a chill as day. Im fortunate enough to have a big scene here we have YAWN and GOODfeelin we all like one big ass family!
6. The Yawn crew seems to be a bunch of friends just having fun on their bikes. Can you tell us more about you guys? Yawn is just a crew of homies, Veesh is top dog when it comes to Yawn, he is the idea man that focuses on putting out videos that are entertaining to watch and not some random poorly put together edit. We don’t really have a lot going right now, but hopefully this year we can start doing bigger and better things.
7. Thanks to John Richard, things have been popping off lately with Primo and the whole re-vamp of their team. Can you tell us more about him?
Having Johnny at Primo is dope! Primo’s been heading in the right direction. He is always looking out for the riders; he is down for the team. Big plans ahead for Primo, going to have to wait and see!
8. You’ve been riding for Cult for a couple years now and had some amazing clips in Talk is Cheap. How is it to ride for such an amazing brand with so many talented riders?
Thanks a lot man! Being on Cult is one of the biggest privilege’s I’ve ever had, being on a team with dudes like Dak, AK, Hawk, Simmons and Dehart is a honor, I never would have thought I would be riding with dudes I’ve looked up to. Having Robbie is another thing I’m grateful for, he has helped me since the beginning and has been looking out for me and making sure I’m taken care of! Its nothing but family love from them!
9. What’s the best trip you’ve ever been?
One of the best trips I’ve ever been on was the Cult Texas Toast road trip, It was Veesh taking care of everything like a boss! The dudes in the van were Iz, Nate Richter, Steven Mack, Josh Alderete and Dave Aleman; we all packed the van and left to Austin, Texas from Cali. We stopped in a couple of cities on the way to ride street, it was one of the first long road trips and I was siked to be apart of it! Another memorable trip was the Tip Plus one Johnny Rich had put together of dudes from all the brands in the Distro to head out to the 3 annual Serenity jam, That trip was sick because it was all kinds of cool dudes from different teams chillin and just having a good ass time!
10. Any shootouts?
Shouts to Robbie and everyone at CULT, Johnny over at PRIMO, Rich at LOTEK, and everyone at TIP+! The GOODfeelin homies! Bobby at Casual, my family and Veesh for putting up all the shit me and IZ give him as well as putting YAWN together and having me apart of it! I’d also like to thank Alex C (Frenchie) for the interview!
All photos from Andrew Brady and Robbie Morales
Check below Andrew’s latest edit for PRIMO: